I climbed a mountain yesterday

I climbed this today. Technically, it is called Bluff Knoll and it is the second (or third, depending on who you believe) highest point in Western Australia. But things lower than this are called mountains so, dammit, I am claiming this as my mountain.



I had had a hankering to do this for a while and so I persuaded a friend of mine to do it with me.



Let me tell you first that I had entirely the wrong idea of it. I thought “oh, 3.6 km: fairly windy path with lots of switchbacks”.





This was 3.6 km of UP with no flat places and an average gradient of 40 degrees. In fact, it was so steep that it was like climbing an endless flight of stairs.



Maybe one of the hardest things I have ever done, physically. Not because I am that unfit (I am fat but quite fit) but because my particular type of arthritis means that I am fused in the hips and therefore don’t bend very well to lift my leg high, and fused in the ribs so the bottom half of my lungs cannot expand.



After about 500 metres it became obvious that I was holding back my companion and so I urged him upwards to the top. And then I struggled up, having to stop and breathe about every 50 metres or so.



I had a system: when the light headedness turned to whirly spots in my eyes, I sat down and put my head between my knees until I felt better and then I carried on.



My friend got to the top half an hour before I did (he only took an hour) but I think an hour and a half is a very respectable time. Especially when it took us both just under an hour to get back down. Total round trip three hours, including half a hour at the top in the clouds that drifted in and out. They say that the average time is 3 – 6 hours so I feel reasonably accomplished.



You know what was very depressing though? They had these trail signs every so often and your heart would lift, thinking that you were nearly at the top and then the sign would turn out to read “3 km to the summit” or 2.5 km to the summit and such like.


Just when you had struggled up what seemed kms worth of staircase already. Those signs were very discouraging and I made it a policy to kick all of them after the first, summoning up the residual oxygen buffer between me and brain-dead me in order to do so. I felt VERY strongly about the signs.



I abused my calf muscles going up and my quads going down. I didn’t stop at all going down because every time I did my muscles started quivering and I was scared I might fall down. Today I can hardly move.


About quirkycharm

I like to think that I have a certain quirky charm but I am probably being optimistic. Acquired taste, perhaps, which many don't acquire. This is about my fifth blog out there. My hosting companies kept going out of business or my IT exhusband kept hacking into them and I would move again. I don't do twitter, I barely do facebook, I don't try and 'monetize' my blog. I love my husband, my grown children and my job and this particular incarnation of oversharing my life comes at a time when I am the most content that I have ever been. I write always, sporadically during the good stuff and exhaustingly during the bad.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s