I went in to visit my Dad on Saturday. Me, the husband and the number 2 daughter.
We found him wired up to an IV (antibiotics), a drainage tube (abcess) and oxygen. I thought he looked not much better than Thursday, which is when I last saw him. He is very swollen, retaining a lot of fluids and is still has fluid in the lungs. He hasn’t been well enough to get out of bed for the last couple of days and is on bedbaths. He hasn’t eaten for days but he is taking fluids by mouth and soup.
They think they might take one of his tubes soon (the abcess drainage) and they are happy with that – apparently they’ve drained 3 litres of pus, so no wonder he was so ill.
That was Saturday. Today I worked all day and visiting hours would have been over by the time I got there so no visit. Not that I felt up to it, anyway, and now I am not allowed to.
I am not able to visit him because I have a riproaring ear infection and he is too fragile.
I’ve just come down with this thing (I’ve never had an ear infection before) and have gone deaf as a result. I stupidly worked today but it was awful and I counted down the hours until I could go to an after hours clinic. I am on heavy duty painkillers and oral antibiotics but I might end up in hospital myself on IV antibiotics if it doesn’t resolve! It is excruciatingly painful and I feel rather ill.
I can’t use the phone because I can’t understand what people are saying unless I look at them directly. My tour today was not brilliant as I was in so much pain and couldn’t hear people (and hence couldn’t really hear myself and couldn’t do commentary much and felt too ill to do the extra social media stuff I do – did I mention I now have a twice weekly column on our company website? This in addition to the live tweeting on tour.)
I can’t believe that this is happening now, when I least need it.
It is very depressing because it comes on top of bad news about that perfect job.
Having been told I had got it, I had an embarassed phone call from the HR lady on Friday, saying that there was another candidate who had been unable to attend the original interview and had since interviewed and now the panel couldn’t decide between us, because he has had heaps more experience doing exactly that sort of thing.
HR lady said she wanted me fervently but it had to be backed by the panel so now we needed to re-interview next week. And of course, now I can’t and it looks like they will go with him, which makes me miserable ,having been told that I was their choice. I really wanted that job.
I’d sit down and cry it all out but it hurts too much to do that. I am not surprised, given that my middle ear is so swollen my entire canal is blocked and my out ear is bright red and standing out sideways to my head. I have toothache, neck pain and I haven’t slept properly for two nights.
I suppose that relying on one’s own body to heal itself isn’t always the right approach but I get so sick of my chronic illnesses that I tend to ignore what I see as minor ones, until they aren’t minor anymore. I have a horror of being considered a hypochondriac and so I go the other way. It wasn’t any consolation to have the doctor say it was one of the worst cases he had seen. He was nice enough to give me a lot of good painkillers, which thankfully are kicking in now; something which the after hours clinic make a point of NOT doing (there are large signs everywhere saying that they do not prescribe them, in an effort to ward off the drug seekers) and nasty enough to make me have a week off work, which means a week without pay.
Cheerful stuff? There has been some. I went out Friday evening with both my girls for a movie and then dinner, which we all enjoyed. Then, Saturday the husband came home from the mines and I am so, so glad to see him.